3.06.2013

Guest post: First Trimester Woes

I got pregnant on R&R. It wasn't really the plan, but it wasn't
NOT the plan. I took a test the night before my birthday, just over a
week since he had went back to Iraq, and it came up positive. On the
morning of my 24th birthday, I got a blood test done, just to be sure
and yep... I was pregnant!



Whoa. I'm pretty sure for two weeks I was thrown into a panic. Not
really a oh-my-god-what-happened panic, but yes... pretty much that.
This baby was very much wanted, but suddenly I was pregnant and there
was no going back!



I found out I was pregnant early, at four weeks. I couldn't even have
a first appointment until six weeks, and that was just a paperwork
appointment. I didn't have a full-on doctor's appointment until 12
weeks! And this impatient girl could hardly handle it.



I think the worst part of the first trimester was that hardly anyone
knew I was pregnant. I'm superstitious, so I kept the news to myself,
my husband, a couple very close friends, and my mom and sisters.



No one knew at work, except my boss. I was sooo tired, sooo grumpy,
and sooo hungry. I brushed it off as "end of deployment woes" and
ignored any questions about possible pregnancy. Once, a customer must
have said the wrong thing because I burst into tears. I asked my boss
if I could go home then - it just wasn't a good day hormone-wise!



No one really talks about that first trimester because it's sickness
and hormones and adjustment, and so many people keep their news
secret. The first trimester has got to be the hardest, though. You're
just tired, you don't feel good, and you aren't even showing that
you're pregnant yet! And worst for me, my husband was on the other
side of the world while I had to fend for myself.



Luckily, he came back when I was 15 weeks along, just barely showing.
It was a great reunion and he was able to be there for the rest of the
pregnancy, every appointment, and of course, the birth of our
beautiful girl, Penny.



Thanks, Chantal! Loved the post and could definitely relate!

If you would like to follow Chantal anywhere, click on any of these links!

Blog: www.scatteredseashells.com

FB: www.facebook.com/bcbabyblog

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ScatteredCShels

IG: www.instagram.com/cshels

No comments: